There was a time when I felt entirely overwhelmed by the world everyday. I would cry, I would scream, I would complain until I became exhausted. Sometimes I felt so overwhelmed that I would just sit on my bed and not move for a couple of hours.
This all changed when I discovered proper nutrition. When your diet is balanced, you become balanced. Once you’re no longer distracted by extreme and frantic emotions, you can start to see through the clouds of stress and focus on how to heal. On this cold November afternoon in 2016, it’s easy to come up with a million reasons why one is entirely justified in feeling overwhelmed by the world. And while nutrition is great place to start, here are some other steps that help me peacefully navigate a chaotic universe.
- Talk about how you feel with people who will listen. If you don’t speak your truth your body will keep trying to find other ways to release those emotions which will lead to a lot of tears and upset tummies. Social Media has a large audience, and I think it’s a wonderful way to spread news and ideas across the world…but the real healing beings with a connection. When you look someone in the eyes and say “I am scared” “I am sad” “I am nervous”. The universe is listening; it just doesn’t have eyes to read your tweets. Speak your truth and the universe will know how to heal.
- Step away from your phone. Maybe just for an hour. Maybe for a couple of days. It’s so easy to get wrapped up in the constant flow of opinions and emotions. Stepping away gives you time to recognize what’s going on inside of you, and what you need to do to feel better.
- Volunteer for a cause you care about. Sometimes we feel like no one can hear us. That what we care about doesn’t matter. Well, it does matter. It matters a lot. And becoming involved in activities that benefit your cause will not only make a difference in the world, but it will connect you with people who remind you how important your ideas and feelings are.
- Remind your friends and family how much you love them. Tell them how wonderful and special they are, and why you’re happy they’re here. You’ll find yourself at peace when your depths of love are no longer a mystery.
- Surround yourself with the people you love. Sound the alarms. Call in the Team. The more loving energy you can generate the better. What would happen if everyone created little concentrated love bubbles across the world? I’d love to find out.
- Keep living your life. Maybe you won’t smile or laugh today. Maybe not for a week. But we must smile, and love, and cheer, and laugh. These are the best human experiences, and no one has the authority to take away their magic powers. The simple act of laughing releases endorphins to the brain and reduces cortisol levels. Even if there’s nothing funny to laugh about, it still has the same effect. Maybe you make yourself laugh. Maybe the laughter eventually turns to tears and you cry for a while. That’s okay too. It’s all a part of the process.
I wish you all the best on your journey to peace.